Satellite
  • Day 23

    Kangaroo Island

    November 2, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 21 °C

    We had an early call this morning for our trip to Kangaroo Island. KI is the 3rd largest island of Australia and more than 1/3 is a national park and totally natural. The bus picked us up at 615 am and we had a 1 3/4 hour bus ride to the ferry terminal. Off the bus and then onto the Ferry for a 45 minute ride. Then we we had to board another bus to begin our tour. On the journey to the ferry we saw a lot of Kangaroos in the wild. They are most active early in the morning and at dusk.

    Our first stop was Seal Bay. It is a national park and is the home of 800 Australian sea lions. It was interesting to learn that the female sea lions spend 3 days feeding at sea and then come back to land and sleep as feed their pup.
    The vegetation on the island is thick with trees. The wild life and birds are very abundant. Our next stop was for lunch to an area where we had to go a number of miles down a gravel road.
    The third stop was Hanson Wildlife Sanctuary. It is one of the most bio diverse and pristine ecosystems that remain in Australia. We went for a walk and we probably saw at least 20 Koalas in the wild. Many of females had their Joeys in their pouch.
    Read more