Satellite
  • Day 1

    Day 1 Blue Lagoon, part 1

    October 22, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    After a particularly stressful immigration check in (too many people), I made it to the Blue Lagoon just after it opened at 8 am.
    The warm waters are rich in minerals like silica and sulfur and bathing in the Blue Lagoon is reputed to help some people suffering from skin diseases such as psoriasis. The water temperature averages 37–39 °C (99–102 °F). The rich mineral content is provided by the underground geological layers and pushed up to the surface by the hot water used by the plant. Because of its mineral concentration, water cannot be recycled and must be disposed of in the nearby landscape, a permeable lava field. It is renewed every 2 days. The silicate minerals are the primary cause of that water's milky blue shade.
    To avoid overcrowding, the Blue Lagoon sells only a set number of tickets for each hour, although you can stay as long as you want. The roads and sidewalks were frost covered. I had bought the cheapest package which covered entrance and a silica mask, and transportation from airport to BL to Reykjavik: $118 (without bus ride it was $80) I rented a towel (additional $7) and stored my stuff . It’s a beautiful setting out in the lava fields with steam rising. Yes,it was quite cold getting to the lagoon in your wet suit but then very nice. You walk around, can get drinks, get your mask, can get a massage and more. I watched the sunrise at about 8:50 and then 15 minutes later I was basically done. The silica in the Blue Lagoon does make you and your clothes sticky.
    Pictures: sunrise over BL, 2-5: Blue Lagoon, 6: Lava field at Blue Lagoon
    Read more