Satellite
  • Day 4

    Day 4a-Sun, Mar 24

    March 24, 2019 in DR Congo ⋅ 🌧 28 °C

    1. Rach and I had our usual breakfast of oatmeal. Our plan was to get out fairly early to hike at Lookout Mtn so that we could be home in time to host Dana and Henry for dinner.
    2. We set out and first stopped at the visitor center which wasn’t open for about 15 more minutes. It was colder than we anticipated up here. We walked over to the adjacent Boettchler mansion (closed on weekends) and walked around it. Then to the visitor center and found out the trails were snow/ice covered and recommending crampons or yak trax for the shoes and definitely hiking shoes (which I didn’t bring this trip due to a suitcase full of GS cookies – lol).
    3. Anyway, then we had to figure out what to do. We decided we’d do Table Mountain which had been one of our choices to begin with. But on the way down from Lookout we stopped to see the Buffalo Bill exhibit and gravesite. It was pretty cool and he certainly seemed like a cool guy. (He’s the one with the wild west shows and Annie Oakley; I know Dan knows all this.)
    pix 1-5 Boettchler mansion, Lookout mtn, Buffalo Bill site; 6-table mtn
    Read more