Satellite
  • Day 37

    Traveling The North!

    November 24, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    The crew left Pahi with one last summit of Lion Rock before starting our long adventure to the opposite side of the island - crammed into our little clown car; quite fitting actually for this group of clowns!

    We drove until Whangarei and decided it was a cool place to stop. We hit some sweet glow worm caves and gazed in wonder at the glowing feces!

    After we hopped on couchsurfing to find a free place to stay. We found Stu, an incredibly welcoming gentleman who was already hosting four other backpackers. The entire crew helped cook up a mean dinner consisting of sausage, venison, loads of veggies and much more! And of course beer, beer, more beer, schnapps, wine, etc. made its way to the table. The group was made up of a smorgasbord of culture consisting of France, Germany, Denmark, Holland, and the US.

    In the morning we continued north but our hangovers proved limiting. We landed ourselves at a camp in Bay of Islands and relaxed for the remainder of the day. We took a swim in the ocean and played some card games.

    That morning we were hit by the most gnarly thunderstorm.. It was so awesome!! Some of the loudest thunder I've ever heard lighting the sky over the tent that Stu lent to us.

    Once on the road we explored the town and headed towards the opposite coast. In the middle we found some sweet hot springs that we kicked back and relaxed in before reaching the west coast and shooting back south in order to catch our flight on the 23rd.
    Read more