Satellite
  • Hassling Spanish strangers

    April 9, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Early start - lessons due to start at 8. Breakie was only due to start at 7.30 so that was 30 mins of face filling - a little torment thrown in for good measure - vast swathes of cakes, donuts & pastries, eggs & bacon etc - all not an option. Basic survival Spanish & pronunciation upto 11. Suprisingly no headache. Off for lunch en-masse. Along the way keeping eyes peeled for candidate bars for match night viewing. On arrival the tutor collored the waiteress & though I don't know I reckon it was along the lines of don't you dare speak English to them...
    Huge 3 course lunch - avoided the wine but the richness of the food was likely to cause a headache. If that didn't being sociable in the treasure hunt was going to do for me. All schools were split up & given clues to find around Santander, a number of which involved speaking to locals. All well and good if you have someone a little more fluent - we did not. Our stronger speakers opted out due to mobility issues... cue some really bad conversational Spanish which relied on their English. Despite this & a colleague being a Manc it was a pleasant walk exploring the town. Needless to say we didn't win. Got soaked on the way back & dived in the bar. Most groups did this some more extensively than others. Opted out of the evening tapas - headache...
    Read more