Satellite
  • Day 11

    Day 7 Rotanda to Padron

    April 21, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Day 7 Rotanda - Padron
    24km (14miles)
    A great night in an Albergue that seemed exclusively our little group. Five of the others were German and a Brazilian lad. She was a judge in her home country. A couple of the German guys were in their 70's but had walked a number of the Caminos including the Via de La Plata. Very impressive. We passed the evening speaking in a mixture of English, German and Spanish. The hospiladro eventually turned up to register us and collect the 6 euros from each of us. The evenings in the albergues are special places. All peregrinos share the love of walking in solitude or with others. There is an unique bond on the Camino. We understand the pain, reflection and just putting one foot in front of the other.
    After a great night's sleep, I was back on the Camino at 7.30am. There was no rain but it felt cool. I quickly walked 5km into a town called Caldas de Reis. A cafe con leche and a croissant for breakfast and off again. There were around 10 other peregrinos on the Camino.
    The morning was beautiful. I took my shoes off and walked in my sandals. That was a bit of a mistake as I developed some small blisters. The Camino took me through some lush forests. These protected me from the sun and sudden downpours.
    I eventually arrived in Padron at 1pm and waited for the Alburgue to open. I was the first to arrive. I have just gone into the town for a bite to eat and guess what I found.....a bar that does GUINNESS. Now that is one way to make an Irishman happy 😊
    I have 25km (16 miles) to do tomorrow to Santiago De Compostela. I should be there by lunchtime. I will book and hotel room and wait for my fellow peregrino Al Cox to join me on Saturday. We will then begin the Camino Finnistre (to the end of the medieval world). The cape's Camino marker indicates 0.00km.
    Another adventure awaits but this one has one more day to go.
    Read more