Satellite
  • Day 12

    Day 8 Finish the Camino Portuguese

    April 22, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Day 8 Padron to Santiago de Compostela
    25km (15.5 miles)
    242 km Camino Portuguese......and don't my feet know it!
    I set off from the Albergue in Padron at 6.30am and was one on the Camino. I only crossed the nearby bridge and stopped for cafe con leche and toast in a small bar. I promised the owner the previous night that I would. He looked like he needed the business. He was delighted to see me....obviously hadn't smelt my rucksack.
    As I came to leave, he gave me a big hug and wished me ' Buen Camino'. I was really touched. It felt like my dad was cheering me on. The Camino catches you at these unexpected moments.
    I walked through the narrow lanes of Padron out into the countryside. It was still dark and difficult to follow the yellow arrows that mark the way. The main thing was to keep away from a busy trunk road. Unfortunately, I had to walk sections of it throughout the day.
    The rural villages were quaint. Instead of the flipping dogs this morning, it was the cockerels marking the start of a new day.
    The trail wound it's way through narrow lanes. So narrow, that you could almost span the walls with your arms. Goodness knows how they drive around there. In a number of the villages, it was interesting to see the numerous small vans delivering fresh bread send fish to the villagers.
    I yomped my merry way towards Santiago.
    I lost theCamino a few times but found my way back by asking for directions in my poor Spanish.
    I eventually arrived in Santiago around midday. It was packed with tourists from cruises and all over the world. In the midst of this, pilgrims were arriving from all different Caminos. I arrived in the main square absolutely delighted to be here again. The Portuguese Camino enters the square from the other side from the Parador.
    I felt that my 2015 peregrinos were with me......
    I just sat down and watched the world go past for 30 minutes. Other peregrinos did much the same as me. As they walked past, we caught each other's eye and wished each other Buen Camino. Each of us knowing that we had completed an amazing journey.
    I collected my Compostela from the new office near the Parador and wound my weary way to my accommodation for the night. I have booked an one bedroom apartment for the night to save the innocent from my snore fest.
    Tomorrow, Al Cox and I will begin the Camino Finnisterr 115.4km
    Read more