Satellite
  • Day 2

    Camino Del Norte - Day 2

    June 10, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Day 2 - Camino Del Norte
    San Sebastián to Getara
    Distance 25km
    Total ascent/descent 520m

    Another hot day 26C. I was gas mark 8 judging by the amount of water I drank today. 6 litres would be a good guess.
    I set off from my hotel in San Sebastián at 7am and walked along the promenade to be meet by the aftermath of the Spanish kids partying all night. They were still stood outside some of the now closed bars. .
    As usual, the yellow Camino arrows disappeared. Eventually got on the way to be met with a 500m ascent. Just the sort of thing you need first thing in the morning.
    Once on the ridge, I walked on minor undulating roads and through fantastically shaded woods. I met a few peregrinos and chatted briefly. I also walked briefly with two English ladies who decided to experience a short walk on the Camino. They seemed in awe of actually meeting a peregrinos. Just as well that they were stood upwind of me as they would not have enjoyed the essence of a pilgrim.
    Mainly views of the Bay of Biscay followed until after another long descent, I arrived in a lovely village called Orio (not the chocolate biscuit).
    I stopped for a brief lunch and followed the estuary to the sea. You've guessed it, another flipping steep incline. By the time, I got to the top I was absolutely knackered and the full heat of the day was beginning to take it's toll.
    I decided that this was far enough as I was outside a camp site recommended in my guidebook. Alas, flipping guide books lie. No places for peregrinos on the campsite.
    There was a stunning view from the campsite over Zarautz and onto Getaria around the other end of the bay.
    I followed the steep drop down onto the beach front and made my mind up to walk another 7km to Geteria. I already knew that all the albergues in Zarautz were full. The promenade was beautiful and the beach was packed out. I got a lot of funny looks and the Spanish have a habit of bumping into me. They generally lose particularly with my 10kg rucksack.
    I followed the coastal path to Geteria and got into this stunning town just as a triathlon was starting out. An amazing site and included in my photographs.
    I wound my now weary way through the town towards the albergue and you guessed it again....another steep incline.
    I arrived at 2.30pm after 7.5 hours of walking. The kind hospilado gave me a wonderful chilled slice of melon.
    Admin sorted. Clothes washed and hanging out to dry. Feet are okay. Small blister on each foot which I am not surprised at considering the amount of time on roads and cobbles.
    Planning my next section tomorrow. Should be around 25km passing a town called Deba. I will likely carry on a further 5Km to a hamlet called Ermita Del Calvario (great names).

    Weather is showing 26C again tomorrow and it is Sunday so food may be scare.

    Hasta luego.

    Again, thank you for supporting B.I.R.D

    If you haven't please think about it. Go to the just giving site under Mick Byrne and it explains why I am doing this.
    Read more