Satellite
  • Day 5

    Camino Del Norte - Day 5

    June 13, 2017 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    Camino Del Norte - Day 5

    Markina Xemein - Gernika

    Distance 25km (7hours)

    Total ascent 440m Descent 515m

    WiFi is limited with some locations. Today, I set off at 6.45am with the fellow Irishman and an American guy I have hooked up with. A fast pace was set even over some steep hills.
    The weather was ideal. It was cool and overcast. We stopped for a short time at a medieval monastery called Monasterio De Zenarruza. It was a stunning location. We sat in the porch way listening to the monks chanting prayers at mass. It was wonderful. A lot of Pergrinos joined us eating their breakfast and just smiling at the amazing chants.
    We carried on to a village called Munitibar where we stopped for morning coffee. I also had a leek cake which consisted of egg, garlic and leek. It was amazing. Photo attached.
    En route, we also saw a stage for holding competitions where a horse or ox drags a huge stone weight across a distance.
    The day warmed up and we hit a few very steep hills before descending into Gernika.
    The hospilardo in the youth hostel gave us a fantastic welcome. There are very strict hygiene rules here.
    A quick wash, I was out the door to visit Gerika museum which was dedicated to peace. It was a moving moving account of Franco destroying the town and the murder of innocents during the Spanish Civil war.
    A rushed tea followed and early to bed as I will leave at 6am tomorrow morning for Bilbao. Unfortunately, it is 35.5km away so it will be a LONG day.

    Thank you all for your generous donations to B.I.R.D
    Read more