Satellite
  • Day 9

    Camino Del Norte - Day 9

    June 17, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Camino Del Norte - Day 9

    Islares to Najo
    Distance 36km
    Total ascent/descent 410m

    I set out this morning at 6.30am. The morning was beautiful and cool to start with. The main part of the morning was road walking which murders your feet. The best part was arriving at my planned destination at 9.30am. Not bad for 20ish kilometres. I stopped for breakfast and decided to carry on to where my feet carried me.
    The beach at Laredo is beautiful with hundreds of holiday makers walking along the surf line. I joined them in my smelly peregrinos kit walking in my bare feet.
    After three kilometres, I caught a small ferry across the estuary and just carried on.
    I had to cross two more stunning beaches before reaching a 200m hill that I had to go over. By now, breakfast had worn off so I sat on top of the cliff admiring the stunning views while I had some bread and chorizo.
    I arrived at my Albergue for the night at 2pm. I am knackered but pleased with the distance covered. My right foot is blistered which isn't good.
    There are a few faces, I recognise from other albergues, but they have got here by bus or taxi.
    Tomorrow, I plan a shortish 22km walking to a place called Somo where I will catch a ferry to Santander. I am planning to take a rest day there to rest up my feet and replace somethings I have lost.

    Thank you for your encouragement and donations to B.I.R.D.

    Hasta luego
    Read more