Satellite
  • Day 16

    Camino Del Norte - Day 15

    June 24, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Camino Del Norte - Day 15
    Ribadesella to Sebrayo

    Distance 31.5km (7.5 hours)
    Total ascent 420m

    Last night, Andreas and I went for an evening meal which consisted of Sidre, chorizo and calamari. We sadly said goodbye to our Spanish friends Anna and David. They have to return to Madrid to work. I really enjoyed their company over the last two days. Our little group won't be the same.
    Andrea and I set off at 6.30am and met the usual Spanish revellers making their way home.
    My new shoes feel fantastic and we were quickly racking up kilometers along the coastline. The scenery was stunning. We kept dropping down into little coves where people were staying overnight in their vans and surfers going out for their first surf of the day.
    It was very overcast and the Picos of Europe mountains were shroud in mist. We eventually got to a coastal town La Isla where we stopped for breakfast. Rain threatened but after putting on our jackets and cooking, it was more preferable to walk without in the drizzle.
    The Camino was a lovely mixture of quiet lanes and mud tracks. We stopped briefly in a town called Colunga where I used my Spanish to post a letter home. I was very proud that my Spanish evening classes were paying off.
    We eventually caught up with Nicole, Andrea's Italian friend. He walked a little further yesterday because of bed shortages. We walked the last 5km together to the rural Albergue in Sebrayo.
    We stopped briefly to look at the pre-Romanesque Church of San Salvador in a village called Priesca. It is one of the oldest churches on the Camino and was built in 921AD.
    We arrived at 1.30pm and decided to call it a day. Admin completed, the lovely hospilardo direct us to a fantastic restaurant a kilometres away on top of a hill where we enjoyed some amazing seafood and wine.
    There are only four of us booked in for tonight in the Albergue. It has only cost 4 euros. A grocery van has just arrived and we have bought some Sidre and snacks for tonight.
    Read more