Satellite
  • Day 18

    Camino Del Norte - Day 17

    June 26, 2017 in Spain ⋅ 🌫 19 °C

    Camino Del Norte - Day 17

    Cabuenes to Aviles
    Distance 35km (8 hours)
    Total ascent 220m

    My Italian friends and I left our shack at 6.30am. It was raining and continued all day. We could have swam to Aviles.
    The walk into Gijon (pronounced Hehon) was pleasant. We flowed the river bank to the playa. After a short breakfast, we had the very long and very boring walk out of the city. We passed through a very industrialised area. Not pleasant. As usual, we came to yet another steep hills which lead to a long ridge. This ridge was in the low cloud. There were no facilities for the next 16km as we walked through woodland. No one was in a talkative mood as we just wanted to get it over and done with. Some days on the Camino are just like that.
    We eventually got to the outskirts of Aviles and had to negotiate some very busy and dangerous road junctions.
    We arrived at the Albergue like drowned rats but received a warm welcome. I have washed my clothes and rested.
    The forecast for the next few days promises storms and more rain. We have a 39km day tomorrow which will be a long day.
    I learnt that a fellow Irishman on the Camino fell and broke two ribs two days ago. He has left the Camino to travel by train to Santiago. I am sorry that his Camino is over.
    Read more