Satellite
  • Day 19

    Camino Del Norte - Day 18

    June 27, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Aviles to Soto de Luna
    Distance 40km
    Total ascent 670m

    An enjoyable evening in the Albergue. I spent sometime catching up with peregrinos I know and meeting new ones.
    A large group of young and old decided to prepare a huge communal meal. They produced a banquet complete with wine and Sidre. Their antics added to the general chilled out atmosphere in the Albergue. People were helping others understand how the spinning machine worked to ensure that they had a chance of getting their clothes dry in time for tomorrow morning.
    Everyone seemed to be apprehensive about this stage because of the distance involved. There were only a few places to stay. It seemed the race was on for beds.
    The first peregrinos left at 4.30am; the next wave left at 5.30am. One was kind enough to shine his head torch directly into my face. now awake, I lay for a time and eventually got up.
    Nicol (Generalismo), Andreas, Bepe and I left at 6.15am. The sky was black and heavy with rain. We wandered through the city, winding our way into the countryside. The Camino markers were poor and took us onto some busy roads. This made for scary walking. I was glad to be part of this group as we really looked out for each other. Eventually, the heavens opened up with distant thunder. It was a case of waterproofs, ponchos and some even had umbrellas.
    We quickly racked up 20km before we stopped for breakfast. Our plan to stay at an Albergue was dashed late morning as we learnt that Albergue was full. It simply meant that we now had to walk 40km today. Andreas looked shocked when we told me but quickly fell in line like the rest of us and just got on with it.
    In these cases, you try to walk with a rhythm. I was singing Irish folk songs and swinging my walking piles around. The Italian guys must gave thought that I was mad. We also passed the time just chatting.
    The last two hours was torture. We were exhausted. Thankfully, the rain stopped and the sun broke through. The temperature rocketted like someone turned the oven on. Not pleasant, when you are wet, sweaty peregrino.
    Jerry, from Northern Ireland joined us for the last few kilometers into our final destination.
    We had to register at a bar in the village. As I was filling in the required register California Dreaming came on the jukebox. I burst end out laughing and was looking around for my old pal Al Cox.
    We arrived at our still being renovated Albergue. We were obviously first to arrive as we had choice of bottom bunks. This is a very important point that all peregrinos know. It is hard work trying to get up to the top bunk. It is even harder nay life threatening in the middle of the night.
    Read more