Satellite
  • Day 4

    Day 3: 73km

    July 5, 2016 in France ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    We had a pretty lazy start to the day. We were still tired after a hilly ride yesterday and average sleep. We left the campsite at 12 and kept heading south through the villages. It was much easier today! Less hills and less steep hills! It's so nice riding on the really small roads with no cars and just surrounded by wheat fields. We had heaps of bugs though! Tiny flying spiders and these tiny black things, they were super annoying, pretty sure we ate a few. After about 60km we were really tired with sore bums, so we stopped in one of the bigger villages.

    We asked someone about accommodation but there is nothing, not even a campsite. We were going to wild camp but could not find a place on the way. We found an air bnb place, but he didn't reply in time and I called a warm shower host that was 12km away, but he was on holidays in south France. So after a pizza (which I later regretted) we kept heading towards orleans and la Loire. We saw a few possible places for wild camping, one was in the forest, but that was quickly ruled out as we got attacked by mosquitos before we even entered. Then we rode past a hedged square in the middle of the wheat fields. I peered through the gate and it had lovely grass and an old looking house, but i could not see anyone. We pulled over just after it as there was a field of grass, a possibly for camping. Then I heard I lawn mower, someone was home! So I went to the gate, got the attention of the guy and asked if we could camp here tonight. He said his house is not very nice but yes! He welcomed us. Thank goodness, we were so tired.

    His name is Alan, super nice guy, 46 yr old carpenter. He let us take a shower and gave us something to drink. And I got to practice my French a lot so that's good :)

    When we woke up he had already left for work, but he had left a plastic bag next to our bikes! It had 2 packets of Biscuits, 2 juices, 20 Euro (we had told him about Day 1) and a bottle of water! The generosity of strangers <3
    Read more