Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    West Coast Day 2 - L’anse aux Meadow

    June 23, 2022 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Today was another driving day adventure (3+ hours one way) to see a very unique historic location and hoping to see icebergs. We had been told at there were bergs in the area of St Anthony and we hoped to be able to see something from land as we did not plan for another boat tour.
    We set off early from The Turnip and headed to the northern tip of the island. Newfoundland has some of the most diverse geography/topography I’ve ever seen. It was lovely to travel through some of the cutest outports and as we travelled across towards St Anthony it was like a rocky moonscape.
    We arrived at L’anse aux Meadow and set off to explore the site. When you see the location you can truly appreciate and understand why the Viking chose the location - it’s perfectly situated. They have done an amazing job with reconstruction and the interpretive staff are exceptional. I was offered 3 pieces of silver to leave Kev behind and he was offered 2 sheep and a goat for me! And while they figured we could both make beer they were hoping I would stay instead since I was less likely to drink it! 😂
    Before we left we asked the staff where we could see the iceberg at St Anthony and as we had come to expect she provided directions to a great viewing spot. Still not sure what to expect for a view of the berg (just like the puffins) we were pleasantly surprised when we came to the lookout and could see the berg so well! As I was taking some photos, Kev was checking the maps on his phone and he figured there had to be a way to get closer so before heading back south we decided to try out another road and then a very bumpy trail and a short walk brought us to a rocky outcrop and there it was right in front of us!
    Another successful and memorable day 🙂
    Read more