Satellite
  • Day 15

    Over the top

    June 3, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    This morning Nuremberg. The guide on the bus gave us an excellent commentary on the points of interest around Nuremberg, including where the war trials were held.
    We didn't take the walking tour today, instead, along with half the passengers, we strolled around the town. I assume that, because it's Saturday, there were markets and buskers and a very nice, friendly atmosphere.
    At over 5kms, Nuremberg has one of the longest intact city walls.
    Nuremberg is possibly best known for its Christmas market - the largest and busiest in Germany, it attracts visitors from worldwide.
    As with so many old towns, there is a market square in the centre. In the square is the 'beautiful fountain'. There is a loose brass ring in the wrought iron around the fountain. A local told me that if you turn it seven times, it brings good luck. A short walk from here is the large shopping area similar to most larger towns.
    The markets have wonderfully fresh and delicious looking fruit and veg, flowers, cheese and, possibly my favourite, gingerbread, another thing Nuremberg is famous for.
    The canal that we're in was only completed in 1992. It joins the Main and Danube Rivers and makes this cruise possible. The canal crosses the Continental Divide. We have climbed up the northern side of the divide and, until now, all the rivers flowed North towards the North Sea. Now they flow towards the Black Sea. Today we have climbed about 175 metres by 11 locks, the last being 3 in a row, each lifting us 25 metres. This took us to the top.
    The continental divide is marked by a fairly insignificant wall.
    Anyhow we'll be dropping about 68 metres overnight and heading for Regensburg tomorrow.
    J&J
    Read more