Satellite
  • Day 23

    Dinant, Belgium

    June 14, 2019 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Dinant 14-17 June
    Dinant is a city in Belgium’s Walloon Region. It’s on the banks of the Meuse River and backed by steep cliffs. Perched on an outcrop above town is the centuries-old fortified Citadel. It's now a museum with sweeping views. Below it is the Gothic Collegiate Church of Our Lady. Nearby, on the site of saxophone inventor Adolphe Sax’s birthplace, Mr. Sax’s House has interactive exhibits on the instrument’s development.
    What a beautiful city - our friends from the US invited us to stay here with them and we are so glad they did. We had a lovely 3 days 4 nights here, one of which was Alan's birthday.
    Apart from the city itself and all its attractions, we visited Han-sur-Lesse, a lovely village in the municipality of Rochefort, Namur Province, famous for the exceptional caves, Grottes de Han, the Cave of Han, carved under a nearby hill by the river Lesse, which is reached via a preserved remnant of the local tramway system. Another beautiful place was Durbuy in the Province of Luxemburg , known for its stone houses and cobbled streets. Promoted as the smallest city in Europe, it has charm, character and not too crowded.
    The food in Dinant was amazing - we were fortunate to dine in four different restaurants while here - all different cuisines and all delicious. The owners delight in offering samples of local desserts or liquors which of course you must accept. I would love to come back here and spend more time. Thank you Owen and Jacqueline - great choice!
    Read more