Satellite
  • Day 9

    Day 9 - Collingwood to Kingston

    August 9, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Day 9 - Collingwood to Kingston – via Picton

    We have been in the car for most of today - luckily its big and comfy!

    We drove for four and a half hours (or rather David drove) from Collingwood to Picton, along the top of Lake Ontario. Bypassing Toronto was a little chaotic, with a six lane motorway – thank God for SatNav!

    The reason why we stopped in Picton was so that I could see where my Dad was born in June 1943, during WWII. We found the hospital in Picton (as you can see from the pic I am standing outside the hospital holding a copy of Dad’s birth certificate). Not going to lie, was a bit emotional not to actually be able to share it with the man himself, but it was still great to see where his life started all those years ago and as an added bonus we also found the airbase where Grandpa George was based at that time. It was decommissioned in 1969 and you can just drive in and see all the disused Nissan huts and barrack buildings – some of which are used today as a trading estate. There is still an operational airstrip there too.

    We also had a quick look around Picton itself and I found a yarn shop where I treated myself to a skein of Canadian Alpaca Merino! David is not the husband in the chair outside the shop in the picture!

    We then headed to our last hotel of the holiday, the Four Points by Sheraton in Kingston. After dinner at the hotel, we wondered around the city for a bit soaking up the nightlife and exploring the marina.
    Read more