Satellite
  • Day 22

    Autostrade/route/bahns. A user guide.

    May 10, 2017 in France ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Here's a quick user guide to motorways, as we've done eight hours on the road today from Switzerland most of the way to Paris.

    French autoroute. Respectable paved roads with utterly random toll booths.
    Italian autostrade. A bit of old roman goat track with toll booths attached.*
    Swiss autosomething. Am I driving? I feel like I'm flying...
    Toll booths. Simultaneous yoga stretching and marriage enrichment exercise.
    THAT sound. It's either an Aston Martin Vanquish or a Porsche GT3. Always heard before seen.
    Fiat Panda. A tin can mechanically or legally incapable of more than 87kph.
    A truck. Speed limited to 90 (ish) in 130kph zones. Aka a rolling brick wall.
    The other traffic. Happily doing 130kph (except the Pandas). Aka a rolling kick in the behind.
    A Motorhome. A hotel suite on wheels, which beyond 110kph thinks and behaves like a hovercraft.
    You. A Motorhome, dodging the trucks at 90 and the cars at 130. More on this in another post.

    Happy trails to you...

    *actually some of the Italian autostrades are amazing. I don't know how this happened.
    Read more