Satellite
  • Day 63

    San Juan del Sur

    February 28, 2017 in Nicaragua ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    As I needed a "convenient stop" to wash my close and buy toothpaste and sunscreen after a few more secluded stops like Playa Gigante and Isla Ometepe I decided to spend one night in the party & surf spot of Nicaragua before heading to my Surf Camp.
    I actually quite liked the vibe. You have a lot of nice and hipster shops and restaurants here. It's quite pricey but for one night it's fine.
    I also met a lot of people here again. First I ran into my french canadian friends and Kathryn and Matthew who I had also met at Laguna de Apoyo again. They were actually staying in my room!
    Later I wanted to buy a beer to go up to the Jesus de Mercer statue for sunset when I ran into Tina I had met in the Surfing Turtle Lodge. We went up there together and got an irritated view from the guy at the entrance. Apparently you are not supposed to bring alcohol to a holy place. Up there we also met Patrick from the Surfing Turtle.
    Later we had the best burrito in town for dinner - probably not really authentic but for a change really light and fresh with lots of vegetables and a nice salsa instead of the typical rice and beans (sometimes you have to cheat with the local food).
    The next morning I said a final goodbye to my french canadian friends and jumped on the shuttle to Playa Maderas for my Surf Camp.
    Read more