Satellite
  • Day 259

    Lima

    September 12, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Lima was kind of the last stop of my big trip of exploring Latin America. From here I was heading back to Nicaragua where I would spend most of my time in the Surfcamp working and surfing.
    I checked into the Pariwana Hostel which belonged to the hostel I stayed in Cusco. It was a bit more expensive but I knew from Cusco that it would be worth its money. After a shower I headed out exploring my surroundings. The hostel was in Miraflores, a modern district of Lima. I made my way down to the coast passing by lots of fastfood restaurants and tourist shops. The view of the ocean was mainly grey. The sky was covered in clouds (and smogg?). But I watched some surfers out in the water and got more and more excited about heading to Nicaragua soon. I thought about paddling out, but why renting a board and a wet suit when I knew I had my surfboard waiting for me in 3 days in a place where I could surf in a bikini?
    There was a fancy shopping mall at the oceanfront and I wandered around here a little. I found a photo exhibition showing pictures of people from Peru. The pictures were great and you could fantasies about the story behind every person easily while looking at them.
    Later I met up with Sarmad, the guy I went bungee jumping with in Cusco, in the bar of my hostel. We had a few drinks before heading out for what everybody recommended for Lima: eating the best ceviche! We went to "Punto Azul" and had an amazing dinner with 3 different kinds of ceviche as a starter followed by a tasty seafood rice.
    The next day we went on the free walking tour to the historical center of Lima. The tour was nice and informative but not as much fun as the once I took in La Paz or Quito. I guess it always depends on your guide.
    After chilling out at the hostel for a while we went to the second attraction everybody had told me not to miss when in Lima: Circuito Magico del Agua - a park full of illuminated water fountains.
    It was kind of cheesy but still nice. And we had a lot of fun trying to get to the center of a water fountain with different rings of fountains starting and stopping randomly. Unfortunately I started running 3 times the moment the water started. So my shoes and pants were soaked afterwards (and it wasn't warm in Lima). We took lots of nice and funny pictures before heading back to the hostel for dinner and drinks.
    The next day I joined the free walking tour of Barranco the bohemian district of Lima. It was nice to see this side of the city with lots of streetart and nice little shops. I met a group of people on the tour and we went for a craft beer brewery afterwards for a beer. We split up for dinner and I went with just one girl to a bar near the hostel that had amazing sandwiches with good italian ham and cheese. Something I hadn't had in a while.
    The next was my last day in South America. I met Sarmad again over lunch and went down to the coast afterwards.
    After an early dinner of ceviche and rice with seafood (this time in a more affordable place) I caught my shuttle to the airport and was off to Nicaragua.
    Read more