Satellite
  • Day 351

    Rapture Surf Camp 4.0

    December 13, 2017 in Nicaragua ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    My return to Rapture started with an unexpected surprise. Before I left for Popoyo we talked about me coming back for my last 3 nights before leaving Nicaragua to actually go back home. I knew they had a new volunteer but the deal was I would help out and do some bar shifts. But this was before Josh the owner of Rapture showed up. He changed a lot and made the guys get rid of everything and everybody which or who wasn’t useful to the camp in his eyes. So when I arrived on sunday Johannes told me they had no job for me and I would have to pay for my last 3 nights like a normal guest. After working here for over 4 month and always hearing how well I did my job this felt pretty rough. But in the end I knew that it only would have been a friendship deal to let me work even though they already had someone who would otherwise do the job himself.
    So I tried not to be too upset and enjoy my last few days without any responsibilities.
    It was a weird feeling but I also enjoyed this new situation a little. Just sitting down for dinner letting Simon bring me my food 😉

    On my last day we went surfing to Playa Remanso. It was a fun day and I took a lot of smaller waves pretty close to the shore. One time I wanted to get back out from the beach and pushed my board in front of me even though a wave was coming. The board went straight up and crashed against my nose. I thought I heard it break and almost started crying and laughing at the same moment. How stupid would this be to injure myself on my last day of traveling. But even though it hurt a lot it still felt steady.

    Later that day when we were back at the camp almost all the guests decided to go into town for dinner. As I was picked up around 9 to go to the airport I couldn’t join. So I decided to go down to the beach by myself for a proper goodbye for sunset. I got me a beer and sat down on the rocks watching the sun go down. I remembered how lucky I was that I had the chance to spend a year like this. So much had turned out completely different than planned. But so much better. I had started with the idea of traveling for 3 or 4 month. When I actually started the trip I said I would be back after 6 month. And now I’m sitting on a beach watching my last sunset in Latin America almost 12 month later.
    This was the moment to become sentimental. I took another sip of my beer and BÄHM, suddenly there was super loud music blasting down the beach!
    Behind me they were setting up a stage and a soundsystem for a surf contest happening the next day and they had just started the sound check. So it was the second time that day I was kind of laughing and crying at the same time...

    The sunset was amazing. Probably one of the most colorful I have seen. And even thought the music made it a little absurd it was the perfect goodbye from my little paradise.

    I went back up to the Surfcamp for dinner and met 3 girls that had arrived the night before but hadn’t been surfing with us that day. I tried to figure out their ages as one of them was definitely looking older than the other two. Luckily Simon was curious as well and just asked. It turned out they were mother and daughter + the best friend of the daughter. Jessica (the mum) was super nice and we ended up talking the rest of the night. After dinner we moved over to the deck chairs by the pool as someone said there were supposedly a lot of shooting stars to be seen tonight. Simon joined us and first I didn’t see any as I was always looking at the people while talking. But after Jessica and Simon had both seen a few already I kept my eyes on the sky. And now I saw them. There were lots!
    After the sunset I didn’t expect the night to hold anything else for me but this was amazing! Sitting by the pool, having a really good conversation and just counting the shooting stars 🤩
    Later Yader our driver came to pick me up and bring me to the airport. A thank you gift from the guys - which had given me a lot more time to spend at the camp than if I would have had to take public transport. So no reason to hold a grudge for making me pay my last 3 nights.

    Getting on that plane taking me of the continent was definitely the hardest step of this entire trip. But I was also looking forward to meet my family and my friends again (and cheese and bread and bubbles). And my journey home would still take me a few days so enough time to get ready!
    Read more