Satellite
  • Day 12

    Adrift White Water Rafting

    June 20, 2017 in Uganda ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    I can now say I have done white water rafting on the River Nile. Let's just say, this was one of the scariest white water rafting I have done (close second to New Zealand) but not because of the large drops but because of the crossing waters.

    Our raft tipped over twice, the first time we tipped was on the second rapid and as I have come back up the boat has hit me on the head pushing me back under the water - I thought I was going to drown in the rapid. When I finally did reach the surface I was still in the middle of the rapid, luck a safety kayak with us came and pulled me out.

    After that I was a tad cautious and didn't really want to tip the raft over again so when we were given a choice of 'no flip', '50/50' or '100%' we chose 'no flip' but our instructor had other ideas and took us into the middle where we were guaranteed to flip the raft and once again we ended up in the water, at least this time I didn't get pushed under by the raft again.

    Once we had finished they provided us with beer and lots of food, they then drove us back to our accommodation where we viewed the photos and video footage. It was a good day, I am glad I did it but I think as I get older I am getting more cautious (maybe even wiser) and that is why these sorts of things are starting to scare me haha.
    Read more