Satellite
  • Day 37

    Charleston South Carolina's

    September 25, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    What a beautiful town, I'd like to thank Lauren for suggesting a little road trip down to the coast and south Carolina for my last weekend, it is a beautiful southern town with so much history and a great vibe.

    Friday morning we did the drive down here, pretty straightforward interstate driving, nothing much to report, it's been a tough few days for Charlotte after the police shooting on Thursday and despite Lauren and clay living 15 miles outside and us not really being directly impacted, Clay's office was closed Friday and there was a decent enough amount of concern around that you could sense it. Charlotte is a beautiful, inclusive, peaceful town and I think the main feeling was shock.

    Friday night after checking into our airbnb condo we headed out to dinner and got into some awesome southern food, my dinner involved fried green tomatoes, hush puppies shared starter and a deep South spin on paella for main....God I love good southern cooking.

    After dinner it was time for girls night again, me and Lauren headed off to the Charleston music hall to see the soggy bottom boys while clay took greyson back to the condo. despite the fact we were up in the cheap seats, we both thoroughly enjoyed the music and it was a great venue, there was an issue though, we were both completely and utterly distracted by the guy one row in front and three seats over, why?? Oh, just cos it was Bill freaking Murray!!! Apparently he is a big fan of the soggy bottom boys (someone saw him sneaking in and convinced him to go on stage to introduce the band and then he came and sat down near us) and loves Charleston because despite being obviously recognisable he gets to wander round here fairly anonymously. How do I know all of this you may ask? Well we were sat right in the middle of a big group that Bill....yea we're on a first name basis.... came in and I ended up chatting to my new best friend, who's dad is best friends with Bill Murray's best friend...I know right? I'm basically friends with a celebrity!!

    Saturday we got out early and met Al our carriage driver and Don...Our horse, for a carriage tour around this beautiful city, they really have done things right here with architecture laws in place since the early 1900's that state that any building that's been standing for over 70 years can't be torn down by anyone but God, this combined with the fact that the city was built out into the harbour by dumping the garbage and ballast from the ships that came over into the water and letting it settle for 100 years and the fact that Charleston was settled by a combination of the English, French and Germans over the years has lead to some beautiful
    And very varied architecture. Interesting little tid bit, they have doors to their outside porches before their front door because it gets so hot here the whole family used to sleep outside.
    Read more