Satellite
  • Day 128

    Adventures of the big black dog

    December 25, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Having finally made it to Sydney after so many delays I should be over the moon, I'm in an amazing city with one of my favorite people in the world, it's Christmas day and it's sunny!

    The prefect time for an old acquaintance to come visit and spoil the party, I'm trying to enjoy myself and get out and get involved but unfortunately the big black dog comes with a decent dose of anxiety, agoraphobia and general desire to be alone in a dark room.

    This might be an unusual topic for a travel blog but it's the reality I'm gonna have to live with and I'm sure many other people have had to. Mental illness is something that should be openly talked about and perhaps there is a little selfishly cathartic about writing about it as well.

    Trying to focus on some positives, we had a lovely Xmas eve lunch of fresh seafood risotto and white wine out in the sunshine with a view of the harbour bridge and despite my general dislike of crowds and shopping being ultimately compounded by the black dog we managed to spend a bit of time and downtown and buy me a shirt and shoes so we can go to the boxing day races with Rachel's friends.

    We've also booked tickets to go to the botanical gardens on new years eve where I will be able to tick an item of my bucket list and watch the Sydney new years fireworks display, something I have wanted to do since I first saw them on millennium eve 17 years ago!

    Hopefully my next entry will find me on the bounce back to normality but until then look after yourself and each other and keep talking about what bothers you.
    Read more