Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Sunday in London

    January 6, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    We slept til 10 after turning off the lights at 11:30 last night. Felt good to have a good sleep. The Fitbit says I slept 7 hours without waking.

    Shared a cream cheese and lox bagel at Laurent’s again since that was lunch and made our way to the London Eye. Walked through the last day of the Christmas market and went on the Eye. The ride is 30 minutes long and is located on the bank of the Thames across from ‘Big Ben’, which, sadly, is shrouded with scaffolding. After each load of passengers leave the Eye, employees sweep the car with mirrors, looking for bombs and such. Enjoyed a soft ice cream with a Flake bar which, apparently, is a thing here. Had added a river cruise to the Eye ticket for only 5£ more. Cool and windy on the water as it was already 3:30 when we boarded the boat. Lovely to see things you read about, and did you know that the real ‘London Bridge’ was bought by an American who shipped it to Arizona, thinking it was the Tower Bridge that is obviously still in London. Should have gone to look at it first😆.

    Walked to Trafalgar Square behind the Charring Cross train station. The National Museum was open for another 50 minutes so we were able to visit the free galleries. Amazing art from the 1500s. Canada House is locates on the Square so had to take a photo of a piece of home.

    Stopped at Cafe Concerto to buy dessert for later and filled our yen for fish and chips at Sherlock Holmes’ pub. Good thing we shared the order; would have been too much otherwise. Enjoyed our dessert once we returned to the hotel and settled in for the night.

    Steps: 25,204 on Saturday. Sunday 14,039.
    Read more