Satellite
  • Day 13

    Pyramiden, Norway

    June 27, 2018 in Svalbard and Jan Mayen ⋅ 🌬 5 °C

    Today we took a full day catamaran tour further north in the Arctic Circle.
    During our two hour trip to Pyramiden we passed the Nordenskiold Glacier with its massive walls of calving ice.
    Pyramiden is named for the pyramid shaped mountain that is next to it.
    This lost Arctic City was created in 1910 by the Swedes as a coal mining station but was soon abandoned because of it harsh climate. It was sold to the Soviets 17 years later. It is a mystery why the Soviets turned it into a settlement in the 1940s. Was it the potential for coal or was it to maintain a foot in the west? This Soviet ice colony was abandoned in 1998 and today has a population of only 3 people while still under Russian control.
    This forgotten city at the end of the world consists of vacant concrete buildings and monuments. It was quite eerie walking through the deserted town. We toured the inside of the Social Hall, Canteen, and Hotel. We viewed the separate dormitories for men, women, and families. A statue of Lenin is located in the town square where many celebrations and ceremonies were held.
    This was a long day but an Arctic adventure we will not forget.
    Read more