Satellite
  • Day 2

    Bump in the night

    July 9, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    3.50am our bedroom door opens. It's meg- did we hear the loud bang and noise downstairs? Julian had switched the light on but wanted back up before he went downstairs. We had a look around but all seemed in order- significantly we didn't try the front door.
    Next morning we had the first detail to Intermarche to pick up supplies. Double blow of poor exchange rate and dearer prices. Also the French don't do allergies- or to dairy products anyway. Bad luck Albie.
    Joe and I walked into Uzes. Beautiful place to wander around.
    Later as we all headed for the pool I went to lock the front door but there was no outer lock. Our" bump in the night " was an attempted burglary. They had removed the outer lock with a piece of kit and julian had heard them entering the house. Call to the owner in England - my French not up to having that conversation with Claude. Said Claude soon arrives and summons the gendarmerie. Maddie very excited whilst Ellie and Jamie talk with the police family. Apparently the burglars target houses with hire cars looking for money and jewellery. To quote Jamie " they have some balls to climb the wall and go for a house with 3 hire cars outside".
    Claude tells us that there's no way to fix the lock tonight so the door is wedged firmly shut with pieces of wood.
    We have a surprisingly relaxed BBQ before heading for bed.
    Read more