Satellite
  • Day 93

    Hustai National Park and

    October 2, 2019 in Mongolia ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    http://www.hustai.mn/wp/language/en/

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przewalski's_horse

    We woke to snow this am!. We left Terelj national park this am at 10am and drive 3.5 hours to Hustai National Park just to the west of UB.
    Our ger has a traditional stove as heating which is good because it is freezing! Down to 2 degs with a wind chill factor making it feel in the minus.
    Following a buffet lunch we got the stove fired up, visited the onsite info centre and increased our knowledge about the rare Przewalski’s horses which became extinct in the wild but have been successfully reintroduced. ( I had included the links above if anyone is interested- and the save those who r not!!)
    At 3.30pm off we went Przewalski horse spotting- not that easy in low light and v low cloud. However our driver Magna was amazing and we spotted a v distant couple high up on the ridge before too long.
    10 mins later 8 horses were spotted coming down off a high ridge. It looked like 7 adults and a foal that came galloping down the hill toward some water. We got back in the car and by the time we had turned around the prized, rare horses had crossed the track and were making their way back up the opposite hillside. They have v short manes and tails and rounded heads- they r striking.
    After freezing our asses off we got back in the cars and made our way home. However just down the track there was a v lonely looking stallion just close by. He trotted past us, looking directly at us several times and then crossed behind us and took off up the hill.
    A v satisfying experience on the whole.
    Now back sat in the ger, by the stove, it’s snowing outside..... and we r listening to the ABs vs Canada on the radio app!! Sadly we have to go for dinner so will have to stop listening- poor Canada!!
    Read more