Satellite
  • Day 95

    Ulgii market and random eagle hunters!

    October 4, 2019 in Mongolia ⋅ 🌙 -2 °C

    After lunch we got to wander around the local market which sold everything from glass panels to fur lined leather boots, souvenirs to knock off designer underwear.
    K got groped by some man whilst Phil and Erica were buying embroidery!!
    After the market we drove more than an hour out to visit an eagle hunter family. It turned out we were visiting the champion who was competing over the wkend.
    On the way out we came across 4 eagle hunters coming down over the hills work their eagles on their way into town- we stopped for photos even though they were miles away.
    Further on there were more!!! 4 more single eagle hunters on their horses, holding their eagles whilst riding into town for tmrw- all were v friendly and allowed us to take photos from the car.
    However as we crested the hill into Sagai we came across the most amazing eagle hunter sitting having a rest..., with his eagle on the back of his motorbike!!!
    His name was pronounced “what”- and we had a great 15 mins whilst Unru and the drivers chatted to him whilst we all took photos.
    Erica printed out a photo of him and his eagle on her little instant printer- What”s face was a picture in itself as it lit up with delight.
    Finally we moved on to the hunters family we were meant to be spending time with.
    Read more