Satellite
  • Day 152

    Rugby, Rugby and a Welsh Male Choir!!

    November 30, 2019 in Wales ⋅ ☁️ 3 °C

    What a day??!!! Can’t really describe the day we have had.
    Started with a nice breakfast in town and then after an emergency purchase of a fleece blanket from Primark (it was 4 degs) it was off to the Principality Stadium (aka Millenium stadium / Cardiff Arms Park).
    11.45am kick off to the Wales women vs Barbarian women ended up with a crowd of 12,000 watching quite a good game with the Barbarians winning. They played like a team who had been together years. Wasn’t the best display of women’s rugby but the fact they were playing at the stadium before the men and were afforded full brass band, choirs and national anthems showed respect for women’s rugby has come a long way.
    The couple of kiwi girls had a blinder.
    The hour between the women and men’s game went super quickly with the entertainment of the Royal goat, brass band and the welsh choirs singing historic welsh songs whilst both teams warmed up on the pitch- we didn’t know where to look!!
    After an entertaining game the Wales men’s team won 43-33 against the Barbarians who had definitely not looked as cohesive as the women’s team.
    The game was quite a first as Nigel Owens was the first referee to be allowed to referee his own national team, the iconic Irish caption Rory Best retired today from his 124 capped international rugby career and Warren Gatland who has left Wales after coaching them successfully for 12yrs entered the stadium for the last time as coach of the Barbarians..... and if that wasn’t enough we had an encore of epic proportions at The Angel Hotel!!
    Read more