Satellite
  • Day 183

    Happy New Years Eve - quietly

    December 31, 2019 in Switzerland ⋅ ☀️ 6 °C

    The 09.12 was boarded easily after a smooth check out from the Hotel Montbrilliant and a trip to the small Migros for a couple of breakfast pastries.
    The Swiss trains r so on time, efficient and well laid out that there is ample room for luggage and more than enough comfortable seating.
    A quick change in Aigle and we boarded the mountain train towards Champéry getting off at Chemex.
    Sadly the 5 min walk to Lowenas house in the mountains took nearly 25 mins as we went the wrong side of the railway tracks. Finally we turned up to be greeted by Lowenas dad Gerald, step mum Pam and ther friend Susan who had been staying for Xmas and were getting the train out in 30 mins.
    This allowed change over instructions, how much not to feed the cats, that the underfloor heating was automatic etc etc
    Lowenas family r from Saltash, Cornwall so despite us bringing the largest tub of clotted cream with us.... there were 2 more tubs in the fridge- heaven!!
    We said goodbye and then we settled in for some much needed relaxation.
    An hour or so later we were back on the little
    Mountain train up to Champéry to suss our if we were able to hire some ski gear and if there were beginners slopes.
    Champéry is a lovely little village with a Gondola further up the mountain however the very helpful lady in the info centre informed us the beginners slopes there weren’t that nice so she recommended Morgin instead.
    All info and maps gathered we got the train back down to Chemex and we were back home on the deck with a coffee in 30 mins. Lowena has a total slice of heaven with her place.
    Wine and cheese started our NYE festivities which involved watching a doco on Lynx and then Kate fell asleep on the couch at 8.30pm. To be fair she did wake up at 11.56pm and we watched several different firework displays both up high and down low in the valleys for about 20 mins but our evening was seriously lacking the party atmosphere to be honest.... maybe next year!!! Happy 2020!!!
    Read more