Satellite
  • Day 259

    F***ing nightmare!!

    March 16, 2020 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    So we arrived back into Ushuaia today a day early due to the Coronavirus to allow residents of USA,UK, China, Iran etc to get home before Argentina stop all flights to these countries from midnight 16th March - tonight!!
    We have been relaxed as we have been planning to get the bus up to Patagonia and hike for a couple of weeks before heading to Santiago and go to Easter Island mid April.
    We head into town in Ushuaia this am at 9am only to find EVERYWHERE closed due to a national directive this am to shut down EVERYTHING!! Our travel agency was closed but we needed to drop off our wet weather trousers ( covered in penguin shit) and gloves so the guy talked to us through an open window saying he shouldn’t be there and he was closed..... but kindly took our stuff before telling us this shut down was likely to last longer than the 2 weeks!!
    I went to a cafe to use WiFi whilst K tried to find a SIM card after we found all phone shops closed or open but only able to stand behind a line to ask a question!!
    Once back on the boat we went to Ed’s lecture on Amundsen and Scott’s race to the South Pole. Half way through we heard that Chile he closed all borders immediately and had closed its airport due to rioting- shitballs!!
    Cutting a v v long story short we spent our last day on the boat panic packing and going to the airport where we secured a flight to Buenos Aires on weds 18th March which was the earliest out but too late to exit via Chile.
    More relaxed we enjoyed a cocktail and then many wines over dinner before an announcement that the president of Tierra Del Fuego has now shut down the whole of Ushuaia immediately and tmrw we must now be dropped directly from our ship to our accommodation at 8am..... we can’t check in until 3pm so god knows how that will work??!! I have emailed our accommodation (Z y K apartments) but the no response at 10.25pm is giving everyone nightmares on the ship as they don’t know what to do with us tmrw!! No one is allowed in town!!
    We tried to ring Qantas to change our flights home to get home immediately or ASAP only to be greeted with “ your call will be answered within ....5 hrs!!!” Seriously!!! We have tried several numbers but no luck at all.
    K is now trying to book flights directly Buenos Aires with Auckland with Airnz. Earlier they were available on 20th and every other day but tonight the earliest we can get home is March 25th!!! Shit this is turning into a total and v expensive nightmare ( insurance won’t cover us as it’s a pandemic/ act of god!! Aka robbing assholes!!)
    Well technically Flights booked but who knows what will happen as we now have 8 days in between.
    Had a great trip but this really is a nightmare
    Ps on a positive note the beautiful Europa was moored at the wharf which made me smile. I was offered a job back on this beautiful boat back in 2006 and was sadly unable to take it 🙁🙁
    Read more