Satellite
  • Day 244

    West Point and Carcass Islands- part 1

    March 1, 2020 in Falkland Islands ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Our first day ashore started at 6.15am when K and I woke up to the sun rising over West Falklands!
    Too excited to stay in bed we went up to the Observation lounge and then out onto the 7th deck. I immediately spotted a seal. 10 mins later I spotted the blow of a Sei or fin whale. This was all a little disconcerting as I never usually can spot wildlife even if I fall over them!!
    7am it was breakfast time and despite not being too hungry we ate brekkie in preparation for our landing at West Point.
    All of us passengers have been assigned to 4 x loading groups for the zodiacs and today sadly we were in the 4th/ last group to be boarded. The groups are Penguin, Seal, Whale and Albatross- we are Whales!!
    Getting dressed we all heeded the warnings about the fickle weather and the quick changes, strong winds etc. We donned 3 layers on top under our parkas and then tights under our waterproof snow trousers provided.
    Boarding started at 8.15am and after an impatient wait us “whales” finally got boarded at nearly 9am.
    After going through the biosecurity boot wash, it was safety all the way as you are guided with arm holds all the way down the steps and then passed onto the zodiac driver as you step into the boat, made to sit immediately on the pontoon and then made to slide into position. Watching some others board you can see why it’s necessary as a few passengers don’t look like they can put their own boots on without falling over!
    Whilst we were on the short journey to the drop off point we were graced with some beautiful Commerson’s dolphins porpoising around the zodiac.
    The weather was totally glorious with blue sunny skies and hardly any wind and it soon became v clear we had totally overdressed!!
    We disembarked at a jetty surrounded by white sandy beach and tropical blue, clear, sparkling waters.
    Already there was a steady line of yellow parkas making their way up the hill towards the black browed albatross colony.
    Before that there was a wool shed to be viewed ( felt like we were still in NZ) and then we were shown how to carry our parkas using the secret little backpack straps as it really was now v hot - about 17degs!
    We started up the hill, taking photos of the Falkland Island’s flag and enjoying the beautiful green rolling, slightly rocky hillsides.
    After 2kms we could see a cluster of yellow parkas and many many large camera lenses pointing in the same direction.
    Walking down through the waist high tussocks we came across (apart from 3/4 of the ship) albatross chicks sitting on their high, round nests.
    The chicks (>30) were in various stages of moult and are currently still confined to their nests waiting for either parent to return from sea to feed them.
    Being all fluffy they were soo cute, unlike the turkey vultures that were feeding on some chick carcasses that hadn’t survived.
    We were treated to an adult black browed albatross parent feeding its hungry chick who was demanding more food than the parent was able to provide.
    In between the chicks were many Southern Rock Hopper penguins who looked like they had just got out of bed after a rough night out!! Their tufted yellow feathers at either side of their heads stick up as if woken from a deep sleep and several either wouldn’t look at any cameras ( no mean feat) or others would just stare us down!
    Today showed us the etiquette ( or lack of it) from our fellow passengers. It seemed that people with the biggest cameras and lenses seemed to think they had more right to the premium viewing spots over the rest of us. Only when they had finally decided they had enough shots would they move so someone else could take some photos without grass or tussocks shielding the best views of the chicks. The joys of cruise ships!!
    If we waited long enough we could finally get into a spot where we could view the chicks and then penguins and the general goings on.
    Lastly just after 11am we were told it was time to make our way back to the jetty and us last stragglers wouldn’t have time for morning tea the locals of West Point had put on ( no more food!!). This didn’t matter as we were going back for lunch for god sake!!
    By now we really were roasting in our remaining layers even though we had taken off what we could. Also my feet were soo hot in my thick socks and the waterproof boots provided.
    Back down the hill no-one had been loaded into the zodiac so we ended up in the only house at West Point to be greeted with the most enormous spread of home made morning tea- 20-30 cakes and slices of all varying flavours and descriptions.
    People were spread all over the gardens enjoying the sunshine.
    Soon it was time to get everyone into the zodiacs so whilst waiting I took off my boots and socks and had a paddle in the beautiful water.... I could have gone for a dip but there are so many biosecurity rules I had to ask permission to dip my toes!! The water was about 10 degs and was heaven after having to wear the boots all am.
    Back on board ship it was an immediate strip off of the boil in the bag trousers and straight to lunch.
    The next boarding for this afternoons landing was due in an hour.
    Read more