Satellite
  • Day 258

    Tragedy at sea- for the breakables!!

    March 15, 2020, South Atlantic Ocean ⋅ 🌬 8 °C

    We had a slightly better night but there were still 5-7m swells reportedly.
    This am we were having a relaxed breakfast with Diane and Carl.
    Suddenly we were hit by a set of huge waves and the dining room turned to chaos...... cutlery flew off tables, coffee pots hit the floor, next the industrial toaster took off from the counter and ended on the floor, the decorative planter pits flew off the top of the buffets and the whole buffet area turned into a mess of smashed glass/ crockery and god knows what else!!
    Meanwhile upstairs in the Observation Lounge the bar stools were sliding wildly side to side whilst poor Kenny behind the bar was dealing with smashed bottles of spirits that flew off the bar.... that’s what u get when things are unsecured!!
    We have made amazing time and we r now just south of The Beagle Channel.... basically near Cape Horn .... and it’s wild!! Loving it!! Just off for lunch to see what drama that brings!!

    Pm- the sea immediately calmed as soon as we were anywhere near the eastern lee of Cape Horn- I already missed the huge and hypnotic swells of just half an hour previous.
    Suddenly there were albatross and kelp - signs of life..... as suddenly there was in the ship when people came out alive of their cabins!
    At 2.30pm we took the opportunity to go and visit the bridge - super swanky and lots if technology - see additional post.
    17.45pm saw the last recap and slideshow before 19.00 “Captain’s Cocktails” when we missed the brief about wearing our best clothes. We turned up in the lounge to unrecognisable staff an passengers in “semi-glam” wear, well actually items other than merino and hiking pants!!
    We had a couple of bubbles whilst we toasted the staff and the trip before going for dinner. Tonight we had a lovely table with Sue, Glenn, Gary, Karina, Thomas, Stefan, Diane and John. Much wine, merriment and laughter until Christians talk at 9.30pm about something.... we got a coffee and came to the cabin!!
    We are currently anchored in the Beagle Channel with the pilot boat booked to take us into the wharf at 06.30am tmrw.
    A v expensive day at the wharf side for those of us staying on but can’t be helped and at least those returning to the US have all seemed to have rebooked flights before the shutdown at midnight. We are off to town!!
    Read more