Satellite
  • Day 256

    Polar Plunge

    March 13, 2020, South Atlantic Ocean ⋅ 🌧 1 °C

    The Polar Plunge was called at 11.30am. Wearing togs/ cossy and my lovely fluffy bathroom I made my way down to the “mudroom” whilst K went up to the top deck to watch/ take photos.
    I was really surprised to find the line of others in their bathrobes, nearly out of the door!
    It was in the midst of excited but nervous chatter we slowly made our way forward towards the open gangway in the side of the ship.
    2 humpback whales were spotted cruising past.... probably in wonderment about what was taking place!!
    The Quark team were well oiled ( not literally) with 1 person taking and storing shoes, second one taking off the warm bathrobes and then we were ushered out towards the platform where a wet, cold harness was fitted around our waists.
    Throughout all of this there were anxious thoughts “how cold is it”, “will I be able to breathe and not go into shock” etc etc
    Standing in togs was enough to make anyone feel vulnerable but with the glaciers and icebergs in the background it intensified the feeling.
    However I must confess that this was not my first plunge in Antarctic waters- Feb 19th 2006 saw a few of us have one of the best and funniest afternoons of our lives which involved several polar plunges, a photo shoot on an ice flow within metres of a crabeater seal and just more icy merriment!
    Back to the World ExPlorer we were walked down the steps to the lower platform, hooked up to a rescue line and advised to “smile for the camera on the right”! No time to think I took a big jump off the platform and plunged into the icy Antarctic waters- loved it!!
    I swam the couple of strokes back to the platform and climbed the ladder back up to the platform ( not before taking the time to check my bikini top was still in place!!)
    Getting out another staff member wrapped me in a towel, handed me my bathrobe and then handed my a polar plunge badge- bonus!
    I was then handed my sandals and it was off I went. Di and Karl jumped after me and they were fine.
    It didn’t even feel too cold and it was so lovely I was v tempted to join the back of the line and jump again- however knowing how much Quark staff were sticklers for rules I reluctantly headed for a warm shower. I still wasn’t even cold!
    Showered and dressed K came and met me and off we went for lunch.
    Great experience.

    The water temp was a reported 0.8 degs C and in the end 64 of us took the opportunity to jump off the starboard platform to earn the “Polar Plunge” badge. The photos shown at the recap later that evening were brilliant.
    Read more