Satellite
  • Day 5

    A day trip to Bratislava

    January 5, 2015 in Slovakia ⋅ ☁️ 1 °C

    Today we embarked on a trip across the border into Solvakia. Bratislava is one hour away from Vienna by train and only €16 return.

    Mum had been reading up on our new adventure and read about these famous bagels that where being made here. I was looking forward to those.

    We left the miserable weather of Vienna, hoping for something a little better, and jumped on the train. The countryside was great. There was smatterings on snow on the fields and many agricultural lands, plus packs of wind turbines every so often.

    Bratislava was an interesting place. They had coffee machines in the train station providing instant coffee for €0.20. It was cold and windy and rain sprinkled every so often. We took a cab to Old Town and walked around a little bit before finding a lovely table inside a cafe called 'the bagel & coffee story'.

    There was a huge range of bagels and all sorts of breads you could select. Mum and I had hummus, spinach and tomato, while Dad and Dan had chicken caesar. The bagels came out in little individual bags and toasty warm. They were very yummy.

    After a quick look at the weather forecast and being told there was a 90% chance of snow at 1pm and 100% chance at 2pm we decided that the bus tour of old town was probably better then the 2pm walking tour.

    The bus was supposed to pick up from the main square ever half an hour. So we waited in the cold and rain for almost an hour awaiting said bus. We found several so-so hiding spots from the wind and were entertained by a member of the Greek consulate leaning outside of a window with a stick trying to unravel the European Union flag haha.

    By now the rain was turning to sleet and then to snow, our weather forecast was correct. Giving up on the bus Dad and Dan waited in McDonald's (coffee was only €1 here) while mum and I did a quick block of some of the old town.

    The buildings were beautiful, each with a different intricate design on the outside. We saw some great eating & drinking places, a very cool bicycle rack and a warm cafe that smelt so delicious! We visited a chocolate shop that had lots of little individual pieces. After an earlier discussion on the trials of working in the NQ heat mum and I found Dan the perfect chocolate haha. (See pics)

    We headed back home to Vienna and with the weather much the same sleet rain before we left, we decided the best antidote was pub hoping the night away.
    Read more