Satellite
  • Day 186

    Gdynia and Open'er Festival

    July 5, 2015 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Well today is my last day in Gdynia, Poland. And it been great! I stayed on a boat, the weather is warm, the people friendly and Open'er has been fab.

    Gdynia is located on the coast and is part of the Tricity area, which includes Sopot and Gdnask. Gdynia was formed during the 1919 treaty of Versailles. At one stage, between WWI and WWII it was freely governed in its own, free from both Germany and Russia.

    Today is a beautiful modern, beach side city.

    I'm in Gdynia to attend the four day Open'er festival. I chose Open'er as it had the most amount of acts I wanted to see - Chet faker, hozier, Mumford and sons, plus additional ones like flume, Tom Odell, disclosure and so on.

    It has been a wonderful few days of music, heat, sun, beach, dumplings, vodka and shopping.

    On the final night of the festival I pulled an all nighter and made it to sunrise. This wasn't too hard as the sun set at 10pm and started getting light again at 3:30am. There was also an awesome line up that kept me entertained.

    Open'er had everything, fashion shows, queue-less toilets, an art space with movies, comedians and authors, great food and wifi! The transport worked so well, I didn't wait longer then 5 minutes if that at any point.

    I've loved staying on the boat. I had my own room which looked over the water. At times it felt like I was the only person there. There are two decks and a big lounge room, which is styled like the 1950s, with old style radios and phones to boot.

    Tomorrow I'm off to Warsaw. I'm really looking forward to Warsaw and learning about its history and stories.

    Where I stayed
    Pepperland Hostel - ul. Hryniewickiego 6, Gdynia, Poland

    Fantastic place to stay! I had a private room over looking the water. There are two decks you can sit on and enjoy the view. There is a living room area styled old school. The staff ae really friendly, I think they are like a family or something. It was clean. You are right in the centre of town. And it's just well cool to be staying on a boat!
    Read more