Satellite
  • Day 214

    Arrival in Ohrid

    August 2, 2015 in North Macedonia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    So this weekend I'm spending it in Ohrid, a UNESCO heritage listed town and the more famous and touristy area of Macedonia. I have stumbled upon the best weekend really as its a long weekend celebrating Macedonian independence and many celebrations are taking place.

    After arriving on my bus and fighting a dude for my seat all the way, I decided that I could walk to my hostel. This is probably the worst part of my travelling day. I have a rough idea of where I’m supposed to be going, but I have no wifi to confirm that I’m headed in the right direction, everyone around you are 'sharks’ and you have to keep particular attention to your belongings.

    So off I went the direction I hoped was correct. After a couple of nice girls helping me along the way I found myself, right in the centre of Old Town and up a giant hill towards my hostel.

    The town is flowing with people. Aside from the national celebrations this weekend, there is also the summer festival, consisting of plays, concerts and music festivals, which are taking place along the beaches around the lake. Needless to say the town is jam-packed.

    I find my hostel, which I am less then impressed with, but grow to enjoy. It’s three storeys with a lounge area downstairs and a backyard. My floor has the kitchen and a balcony, which looks out over the lake. Two brothers, who seem to be doing everything by the seat of their pants, run the place.

    They also seem to be seeing dollar signs this weekend and are charging people to sleep in the hammock outside, or to pitch up their tents in the back yard. I thought someone said it was €7 a night. But people are desperate to be here, so they are paying it. I have a comfortable bed upstairs, with two lockers.

    The highlight is that practically everyone from the Shanti Hostel is here! I walk in to greet welcoming faces and old friends. It’s such a wonderful feeling. My love for Macedonia grows.

    On Friday afternoon I went on my own tour of the town. I walked down the main pedestrian area, all along the coastal front and pass the famous pop up summer restaurants / swimming areas and up to a very old church. It has fantastic views over the lake. I then walked further up hill and then back down going past another church that had a pop up theatre out the back, for the summer festival.

    Tonight I hang out with my Kiwi mates and all the new faces here, drinking a lovely bottle of Macedonia red, whilst the others downed cheap €3, 3L bottles of red. Someone is going to have a nasty hangover in the morning. After a pizza and more red we head out to see the Ohrid nightlife. We make our way to a popular nightclub, which has a woman playing a really cool violin alongside the DJ. We dance for a bit and a notice that loads of people are smoking inside the club. After two songs I’m done. Nightclubs aren’t my thing haha. And I head back to the safety of the hostel for a good night’s sleep.
    Read more