Satellite
  • Day 215

    Ohrid: a weekend

    August 3, 2015 in North Macedonia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    On Saturday I had breakfast with an American who lives in NZ now. I asked for the pancakes, which are crepes, and order the honey and nut one. Basically it's like baklava in crepe form, the crepe is soaking in honey – yummy!

    Stephanie (NZ friend) has decided to join me in attending a musical performance tonight. A famous Serbian violinist is performing in this old amphitheatre with a piano, singer and another instrument. So we buy tickets and agree to meet later on.

    I have a wander around town, as later on this afternoon I’m going on a boat tour. The old town is a beautiful mixture of the country's history. The buildings have paint peeling off them, old red tiles scattered and wood stacked around. My pictures do a better justice I hope. Pebble roads are the majority.

    My hostel organises boat tours everyday for up to 6 people at a time. For 400 dinar you get a two hour boat road across the lake, a couple of swims, beers and fruit. There were only three of us from the hostel today, so a couple of the hostel owners friends joined us. It seems a bit of a dodgy business deal really, but we had a good time.

    The water was beautiful and fresh, very unlike the incredibly salty water in Greece. The boat is this beat up little dingy and we all have to balance carefully getting in and out of the boat to ensure we don’t tip. We place music and pull up around one of the small beaches for a swim as well.

    But rain clouds are drawing in so we head back in time to reach for cover because a thunderstorm unleashes across the town early in the evening. Which is perfect when you have an outdoor event to attend.

    We arrived to the ancient theatre and were delayed a little bit as the organised quickly raced around drying seats and putting down cushions. The event was titled 'Tango Compass’ and Stefan Milenkovic was the famous violinist. A piano, accordionist, cello player and singer for certain numbers accompanied him. It was just brilliant! A very special event to attend.

    On Sunday I had chicken and chips and sat down along the beachfront having dinner. It felt a bit like a Friday night on the strand. It was humid and there were people everywhere. On Monday I walked down to the beaches were some of the celebrations were happening last night. I also went and had a pedicure, because why not.

    For my final meal in Ohrid an American joined me for dinner at one of the cheap streets we’d found. She was a very interested person to meet, as she currently works for ESPN assisting in the broadcasts for the tennis Grand Slams. She was currently kicking back after Wimbledon and waiting for the US Open to start! Jealous haha.

    And with that my time in Ohrid and in Macedonia came to an end. I’ve had a wonderful time here, making new friends, exploring a new culture and eating lots of barbequed meats.

    Food in Macedonia:

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/jovcov/delicious-macedo…

    I loved the Burek, wine, Mekici (!), shopska salata, BBQ meats, bread and cheese

    Performance I saw:

    http://meta.mk/odlichen-nastap-na-stefan-milenk…
    Read more