Satellite
  • Day 304

    Rugby World Cup

    October 31, 2015 in England ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Of the many reasons I wanted to return to London one last time, a major one was the Rugby World Cup. Although, unsuccessful in securing a job, I really wanted to be here, support Australia and soak up the atmosphere.

    And I wasn't wrong, it's been awesome!
    I've thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere around London, at work and the matches themselves.

    Australia has blown everyone away and have played some terrific games. For the big one, England vs Australia, Chloe and I headed down to the Fan Zone at the Olympic Park.

    Located right beside the orbit, you look back to see the sun setting over the Olympic stadium. It's a huge grassy area set up with a massive screen. There are hot food vans, bars, show rides and picnic tables all about.

    The game was epic and the win so good. Half way through the 2nd half a fight broke out in the crowd. It seemed never ending and security seemed to have better things to do. It was silent & funny and behind them was the match.

    At half time all of Australia's points, including penalties, tries and conversions had been all from one player, Bernard foley. It was unreal! The Bernard foley show the Brits called it.

    For the semi final I was joined by Enoka at the Clapham grand. It's usually a night club I think, but today they had chairs laid out on the dance floor, a massive screen showing the game. For Ł10 we got 2 drinks, a pie and a seat each - great value!

    It was a good atmosphere surrounded by all the Aussies, even if it felt like most of them were there for the booze and chats.

    For the final, Chloe and I met with Yolanda and her friends at the calf in Clapham. It was a cool little pub that brewed its own beer.

    I think I was the only Aussie in the pub, everyone else was supporting the all blacks including a couple of very annoying kiwis. But it was good when we were closing the gap, some cloistered Aussie supporters appeared!!

    It was such a good World Cup. I actually know how rugby dirks now and will be very keen to follow the Reds and wallabies at home.

    Might even start planning to attend in Japan for 2019!
    Read more