Satellite
  • Day 313

    Last working week in London

    November 9, 2015 in England ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Today is the start of my final working week in London. As long as I can remember my plan was always to finish school, go to uni, work a bit for experience and money and then head overseas; dreaming of jobs of a lifetime and experiences you could only achieve in a big city.

    When this decision was coming to fruition two years ago and I was faced with the reality of giving up a job I had only just started, that I insanely loved in order to pursue a dream I spent a great deal of time wondering if was doing the right thing, and have spent many more hours considering the same thing once I arrived.

    But, in the end it was the right decision, except when I think of how I could've been at the Cowboys first grand final, then it will always be the wrong one! haha

    I see the last 2 years as an assignment; to come, learn, experience, push boundaries, try new 'hats of life' on and see what works for me. I feel like the past 2 years has been 10 years worth of learning squashed into 24 months. It has trigged renewed passion in chasing a career, not just a job, it has shown me what I really want to do, what I excel in and given me the permission to accept what I don't like or what I'm not the best at and that, that is ok.

    In fact, it's more then ok. As a quote I once read said, something like, once you know your limits you can push past them. I know what I'm really good at, what I'm not good at and what I don't like and not be sorry for it. I can work on them, find someone else to do those jobs, or find an alternative path.

    And I definitely feel like I've come full circle. When I got my first temp role in London I was just about in tears on the phone to mum walking up to this building. I was so scared, I had no confidence, I was so taken aback by myself. When I left home I could've conquered the moon. Where had that person gone?

    I remember writing in my journal that I felt like I had this giant black hole in my chest and everything disappeared into it. It was like I got on the plane here and everything I knew about myself disappeared. Nothing could fix it. I would wake up most mornings not being able to eat breakfast awaiting the dreaded phone call from the temp agency. Knowing full well I needed them to ring to give me work to live here, but oh the fears I had!

    In the end I was only there for 6 weeks. I worked for some really cool companies, got to meet some lovely people, and found that temping was a great way to get a feel for the place as an employee without having to actually get a role there. I look back on those jobs with rose coloured glasses and 'fond' memories.

    Now I waltz into work like I own the place. I feel like me before I left home, but now I have all of these experiences and 'war stories' under my belt to backup my confidence.

    I think taking 5 months off to travel gave me the space to reflect on what I've achieved in these last 2 years. I got to stand back and see that I was at the top of the mountain. Somehow in all the nerves, excitement, downs and ups I had climbed that beast and didn't even realise it.

    Working in London has been great. I have got to do a lot of things that can only be done in a big city. Because a big city has the people power to do things on a large scale, to attract big clients and big ideas.

    But now I'm ready to go home. Back to a support system, to a culture I know and love, to explore a new city in my own country with a renewed energy to strive for the big goals in my life. My assignment has come to a close. It's been fantastic and I'm pencilling in the next phase now - Canada before I'm 30!
    Read more