Satellite
  • Day 324

    Scottish Highland Tour - Day 5

    November 20, 2015 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    Sadly, today is the final day of our tour and it was the most touristy of our days this week. I am very sad that the tour is over. It's been a wonderful, relaxed week, just watching the amazing scenery, learning about Scotland and hanging out with some great people.

    But, before we get too sad, we've still got a whole day of adventures ahead! We pack up and leave Fort William heading towards the Harry Potter bridge!!

    It's official name is the Glenfinnan viaduct and it is on one side, while the other is occupied by the Bonnie Prince Charlie monument. In the summer you can actually ride the train aka the Hogwarts Express, but it's closed in the winter.

    Our day is spent mostly driving, so from here we head towards this old pub for lunch. It's known for all of the stuffed animals inside.

    On our way we stop by an old castle, Inverlochy Castle. And then drive past where they filmed Hagrid's Hut and stop off at a popular car park which looks down into Glencoe. The view was spectacular!!

    Old story - people dying

    From here we drive through ... It's where they filmed the Scottish scenes in Skyfall. As per the movies the landscape was stunning. I felt like we were this little ant cruising our way across this wide open mountainous landscape.

    You only really took in how huge the mountains were when you realised that the small white spec is actually a fully grown sheep! Haha

    After lunch we head towards .... It's the castle where they filmed one of the Monty Python movies, plus it's used in filing Outlander or something like that.

    Then it was on to the Deanston distillery. I've never really has whiskey and to be fair I probably won't drink it again this trip. It was a cool distillery that used to be a wool mill way back.

    They are on off the grid distillery and recycle / reuse everything. It was really interesting and the tasting not too bad.

    We were then Edinburgh bound, with the sun almost set Rich set about telling us the great Scottish fight for independence and who William Wallace really was.

    Most of us were staying at the Castle Rock hostel Friday night. So after settling in we met up again and headed off with the conveniently arranged hostel group going to the Christmas markets, which just opened.

    It was cold, but pretty awesome. They had German food for sale, drink bars, Christmas crafts on show, an ice skating rink and a Santa land. All the usually suspects.

    It was a great way to end a fantastic week.

    http://www.visitscotland.com/about/arts-culture…

    Tour
    http://macbackpackers.com/tour/5_day_skye_and_h…
    Read more