Satellite
  • Day 337

    This time 2 years ago ...

    December 3, 2015 in Sweden ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    Today marks two years since I left Australia. Two years living out a dream I have thought every day about since those early high school days.

    This time two years ago I was standing on the edge of a very exciting cliff. Full of nerves, sadness and excitement. It very much resembles this year's cliff, except I'm facing the Southern Hemisphere and not the Northern.

    This time two years ago I was sitting in the Emirates business lounge, drinking French champagne with one of mum's doctor friends, getting ready to board my very first long haul flight.

    This time one year ago I had a one year party, celebrated with friends at the Scandinavian Christmas market on the Southbank of London. Feeling a bit of a broken person. Wondering why I'd come, but feeling pretty loved by these people.

    Tonight I find myself in a jazz bar in Copenhagen, live music, by myself, drinking wine. Having a wonderful time. In some ways this represents my trip. Me, red wine, and a jazz bar somewhere.

    This has been my solo trip and I feel prouder everyday I say that. This year has been just amazing!! I have met so many wonderful people, seen so much and eaten such wonderful food.

    I think it will take a while, when I am at home, reliving these adventures through stories I tell for me to realise how huge this adventure has been and what I have actually achieved.

    Today I took my final rail journey through Europe and that makes me sad, but There is so much of the world to see, including my own country. And that makes me excited. This is just the beginning, not the end.

    By the end of this year I will have spent 7 months travelling. That I am very proud of and it was everything I needed. Time to be me, do that things that I Ioved, explore and remember who I am.

    The country I look back on the most is Macedonia because I had just an incredible, unplanned experience.

    The countries I wish I could emulate their values and social standings, the Nordic countries. I love them.

    The food I love is French.
    The country I missed was Germany.
    The countries I've seen: 26.

    The new music is endless:
    Years & years
    Tom Odell
    London grammar
    George Ezra
    Disclosure
    Hozier
    James Blake

    The plays so memorable!
    List ...

    It makes me sad to know that this part of my life is over. I'll probably never visit most of these countries again, probably never meet these people who have become my family, my friends, shaped my world views again.

    But I am tired. I'm ready for 2016, to be home, to explore the next town with as much enthusiasm as I embraced London.

    I look forward to this conversation again. December 3rd, 2016, where will we be? Who knows, but oh that's so so very exciting!
    Read more