Satellite
  • Day 9

    Königsallee

    June 12, 2015 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    The Königsallee is to Düsseldorf, what the Kurfürstendamm is to Berlin, what the Champs-Élysées is to Paris, or what Regent Street is to London. In other words, it isn't just the main high street (high street for 'high-end' brands) but also a cultural centre point and meeting place within the city.

    The Königsallee -- affectionately referred to as the Kö -- isn't really one street, but two. They run parallel with each other, separated by a tree lined canal . As far as I can tell, the canal is purely cosmetic, added to impress a feeling of class. But I don't really know. I only say that, because at the end of the Königsallee it just seems to stop. In any case, it's very nice. Every 100 meters or so there is a little bridge crossing it, where you can stand and contemplate life in Düsseldorf. The trees, the water, the bridges, all detract -- in a good way -- from the busyness of the high street.

    The shops on either side of the Königsallee are Gucci or Prada or some other such meaningless brand. It's for rich people. I guess if it weren't for the other activities that take place along the allee, it would be effectively a dead, sanitised playground for the wealthy. But the non-Gucci activities save it. Today, for example, running the whole length of the Königsallee were stall selling used books for three Euros, or beer, or chocolate, or Jazz vinyls and such stuff. It's a nice place, too, if you want so shelter from the 30 degree sun.
    Read more