Satellite
  • Day 20

    Covid shots

    March 24, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 72 °F

    Ok. This is kind of a long story. We've been in Florida since November. At the time I didn't know that it would be important to keep records of that. So... Covid. Florida started getting vaccines and people start coming into FL just to get the vaccines. The Governor, in order to stop folks from coming to FL just to get the vaccine, requires people to establish residency in order to get the shot. That makes sense except we've been here since November and can't prove it. Larry NEEDS to get the vaccine. I kept an eye on things to see when/if we can get the shot. Pretty much on my 60th birthday FL drops the age to get the shots to 60. Yay! I finally get us appointments to get our shots. It's through Walmart. I look online and the second shot can be administered 3 weeks later. Perfect! That's 3 days before we are scheduled to leave. As I make the appointment they say nothing about residency. Yay! The day before our appointment we get a call. It's a reminder of the time and instructions on what to bring. Yup. Proof of residency is needed. Oh, oh, oh... I actually have a receipt from being here for 2 months. Will that work? After a few conversations on their end it is determined that that was sufficient. Yay! Except that my name is the only one on the receipt. Sigh. It's late afternoon. The administrator here is gone for the day. Larry's name is not on the receipt. We just have to pray that the administrator comes in the next morning and is willing to put Larry's name on the receipt. He (the administrator, not Larry) is kind of an asshole, so that's not guaranteed. Next morning we go see the administrator. He's in a good mood and does what we need him to do. Yay! Head to Walmart to get our shots. Now, you have to understand that I'm not going to believe that this is going to work until Larry has a shot in his arm. There are a couple hesitations and hiccups but eventually we both get our first shots. OMG! Thank goodness or God or Mother or whatever. We got our shot!
    You can read on for the rest of the story but this is a good place to stop if you need to take a break....
    Ok. Part two.
    In the last 3+ years of traveling I've made it a habit to make reservations one Park ahead of where we currently are. Plans change. Shit happens. If we make plans beyond the next place, sure enough, something will happen and we'll have to change things. But I know when we're leaving here. I know where we want to stop on the way back to MI. I know when we need to be there. It's summer and therefore harder to get reservations. I make reservations for the next 2 months as we work out way home. Now, back to Walmart and our shots. Apparently, the second shot is 4 weeks after the first. For those of you keeping track, that's 4 days after we were scheduled to leave. Do we get the shot or not? Yeah, really no choice. If Larry gets Covid, he'll most likely die. We'll get the shots and make adjustments . So now I'm in the middle of calling all the RV parks that I already made reservations at to change them to a week later.
    Oh my gosh. That was wordy and long. Thanks for sticking with me. I feel better now.
    Read more