Satellite
  • Day 3

    Visiting the Queen of Australia

    September 16, 2018 in England ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    One thing we haven’t done previously is go to Buckingham Palace. So feeling we had recovered enough from our flight, we turned into tourists, well I’m trying to turn MDW into one. Caught the underground to Westminster then walked towards The Palace. Walking down Birdcage Walk we saw the Royal Guards practising their “Changing the Guards” routine. At first there were a handful of spectators but this became 100’s, all with their phones to video or take photos of the practice run.
    On we walked, and walked, fighting our the crowds until we were at the ticket office. Apparently the crowds weren’t there to welcome us but watch the real Changing of the Guards, a daily event subject to weather conditions. As we had seen the practice run we felt we didn’t need to see the real event so we purchased our tickets at concession rates (do we look that old) no proof required. Must say the 15 state rooms were incredible, but the Queen must feel guilty having all that wealth and still charge people money to see what she owns. Shame on you Elizabeth.
    After exiting the Palace gardens we found our way to Victoria Station, not our intended underground station. After changing to the Piccadilly Line we exited at Knightsbridge so we could walk around Harrods. It’s just a huge department store with lots of expensive stuff for sale. I think overpriced but it’s an experience.
    MDW wanted to visit the ladies and I wanted a cup of tea. Logic says where food is offered a toilet will be nearby. We found a couple of food halls but no rest rooms. Eventually MDW noticed a sign pointing to the Bathroom so off to the loo she went.
    I asked a security guard where the tea rooms were and off we went following his directions downstairs. We were shown a table for two and given the menu. I think we were in the wrong place because it was High Tea not Cup of Tea. We just got up and back up to the security guard who then pointed in a different direction which was to the coffee bar. No seats available so we snuck past the security guard to the exit and ended up at The Bunch of Grapes. No tea but an icy cold beer and a couple of soft drinks for MDW. To get a table we had to say we were having food so we took the advice of having their famous fish and chips. Not as nice as last nights but fortunately the mushy peas came in their own bowl, not contaminating the fish.
    We were worn out by today’s effort and got back to the hotel around 5. I dozed off and MDW woke me around 7 to see what we were doing for dinner. A few cups of tea and a punnet of raspberries was the decision. Might go to the markets tomorrow.
    Read more