Satellite
  • Day 2

    1891 Upper Water St, Halifax, NS, Canada

    July 4, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Day two. Travel from Atalanta to Toronto then to Halifax. Atlanta-Toronto leg was pretty painless, upgraded seats on Delta helped with long legs and antsy kiddos; Bloody Marys helped the chi flow. Toronto’s airport is weird and confusing, to us anyway, as the signs are not really helpful and the auto check in kiosks are prejudiced against non Canadian passports. That’s according to one helpful airport whisp that was floating near by. Final leg to Halifax aboard WestJet was spent observing two older women, my seat mates, kick and squish their beloved cats, entombed in their pale purple mesh cages, under their seats, until the “sweet darlings” were completely and thoroughly fucked...err, safe and secure, muttering the entire trip, “never again”...
    Halifax arrival and car rental accruement; nice and shiny with the new car smell Jetta, kids strapped and Google maps loaded...downtown Marriott inbound.
    The place is nice, right on the harbor nice rooms and walking distance to all things beer and lobster. Time is limited unfortunately and we hit up the first generic Halifax, “come eat lobster here Americans” restaurant... But you know what? It was good...very good, the lobster was fresh and big, and the meat oh so wonderful.
    Ice cream on the short walk back, the Mint Cownadian was the best chocolate mint ice cream I’ve ever eaten... The bar in the hotel also makes a pretty damn good Old Fashioned...but, and here is a golden travel tip... If you want to drink said beverages in your hotel room, you can’t order at the hotel bar and carry those wonderful concoctions up your self...nope, the only way to drink a hotel bar drink in your hotel room is to request the help of room service foot soldiers to bring them up to you. Genius!
    We’re off tomorrow on a 4 to 5 hour drive to Cape Breton to meet up with the rest of the clan. Halifax looks like fun, it tastes good... I’d like to see and eat more of Halifax sometime soon, but it’s not on the plan... for now the promise of music, beer, liquor, family, and oh yes.. lobster, await.
    Read more