Satellite
  • Day 7

    St. Johns

    July 9, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Day seven. The ferry purged us from it’s bowels at 10am and we were in Newfoundland. The juxtaposition of the cramped ferry and the wild desolate surroundings we found our selves in was not lost on me. From the colon to the forest floor, we were free...
    We had an hour and a half drive to St. John’s, but our quandary was time as it most always is. We had 3 hours to kill before we were allowed to take up residence in our new dwelling, so after a brief meeting that we had no part in, it was decided we would spend that time looking at goats and smelling their shit...to the petting zoo we go!
    To be fair it was also a huge produce farm and market of sorts, the goats along with the Emu’s, bunnies, Eeyore, ice cream, and sandboxes were all well thought out and designed to entrap us and rob us of all our pocket change. It worked. Thankfully they had carrots and eggs that we bought so we wouldn’t starve in the big city tonight.
    Finally, being allowed to enter our rental we found the townhouse without issue and debated on who would get what bedroom and all the pros and cons of each option. We celebrated our accomplishment by walking to a little coffee shop nearby then to an over crowded park that must have been in the middle of some camp outing...I believe all the kids in this city were there, all being polite and nice to one another...it was unsettling.
    Heather, James, and I escaped and drove up to Signal Hill, a national historic site that overlooks the surrounding bay and the city of St. John’s. It was beautiful and of course windy as hell. James had been really struggling most of the day, he was cranky and irritable and frankly just a little unstable...reminded me of a 3 year old...humm. But he did enjoy the view I think, a really big red boat went through the the little harbor creating a perfect photograph and he said, “boat”.... he was really excited.
    To capitalize on his good mood we took him to a local brewery called Quidi Vidi. It was oh so tasty and beautifully snuggled in a small little harbor in St. John’s. James did us a huge favor and didn’t scream the entire time were there, letting us fully enjoy our craft beers and for a time, forget about all the struggles that come with traveling with a toddler.
    From there we drove to a local grocery store that was beautiful. I’ve never written those words before but it’s true. It was big, somewhat out of place, and had all the goodness we were after. They even had a escalator for the grocery carts.... and I thought I’ve seen it all.
    Home now, dinner was prepared, ( it was vegetarian....”what?” Meat is bad...) and James didn’t disappoint by preforming one last encore. He is now passed out from all of that work and dreaming of sabotage and mayhem, just like all boys his age. Tomorrow brings new things, and we’ll be first in line.
    Read more