Satellite
  • Day 11

    Gros Morne

    July 13, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Day eleven. The drive to Gros Morne was a lot better than the drive to Gander. The sun was out doing its job; the storm had moved north and out of our concerns. We did the 4 hour drive in fairly good time with only one pit stop along the way.
    We drove into Gros Morne and followed a narrow road along a huge inlet that flanked several small towns and villages. Our rental for the next two nights was in the township of Woody point, nicely situated above the harbor with views that were simply amazing. Walking out on the covered back porch was a pleasure each time you did it. The water below and the cliff walls that came to its edge were as postcard perfect as you could ask for. The rest of the house was very nice, probably the nicest of all of our rentals so far. It was a wood cabin with plenty of space for us all, nice bathrooms, and a very functional kitchen. The house also had a viewing room, high on the top floor there was a small room with floor to ceiling windows in all directions that allowed us to soak up the views when the wind was a little too much on the porch. I could have lived in that room, watching the boats and birds and clouds and the sun, then moon.
    This house was also the perfect location to deploy my drone. I probably flew my drone further than ever before. I had perfect line of sight with nothing but open space to fly in. Up and down the inlet I flew, I hovered over kayakers and took a great photo of an older couple on a small cliff next to a lighthouse that I didn’t even know about until later as I looked at the photos. They were smiling for the photo too...
    We all agreed that we wished we had more time here in Gros Morne. Our shortest stay in the most beautiful area just doesn’t make sense to me...oh well, next time.
    Read more